Are you suffering from migraines, frequent headaches, jaw pain, or an aching pain in your face? These symptoms might be tell-tale signs of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, also known as TMJ or TMD. Premier Arts Dental is proud to offer TMJ treatment near Freehold, Marlboro, Manalapan, and Englishtown, NJ!
What Is TMJ?
TMJ is a common abbreviation for the Temporomandibular Joint which connects your lower jawbone to the base of your skull.
Since this joint is frequently used, especially when eating and talking, it can become inflamed in some people.
Symptoms vary from person to person, but generally can include:
- Frequent headaches
- Pain and tenderness around the jaw, ears, cheeks and neck
- Regular Migraines
- Jaw stiffness
- Persistent earaches
- Painful chewing
- Pain while yawning
- Locking of the jaw
- Uncontrolled change of facial expression
- Changes in how the upper and lower teeth fit together
What Causes TMJ?
Many things can contribute to the development of TMJ. Stress can be a factor, as well as any repetitive movement or habit that causes tension in the jaw and surrounding muscle groups.
A few common causes can be:
- Grinding teeth or clenching your jaw (also referred to as bruxism)
- Injury to the neck or jaw from a trauma such as an auto accident
- Improper bite alignment
- Sleep apnea
- Dislocation or erosion of the joint
How Can TMJ Treatment Help?
At Premier Arts Dental, Dr. Shah crafts TMJ mouth guards are that are personalized to your unique smile. They should be worn while you sleep and are designed to yield the following benefits:
- Reduced shoulder and neck pain
- Minimized lockjaw symptoms
- Reduced jaw discomfort when talking, chewing or yawning
- Alleviation of headaches caused by bruxism
- Reduction in jaw tension
- Reduction in teeth grinding